Comparing Seasons ESL lesson is a fun English lesson for ESL students to learn grammar, vocabulary, and expressions for having a conversation about describing spring.
Watch the ESL video about Comparing Seasons and use the ESL Printable and Digital storytelling flashcards to practice using new vocabulary and expressions to describe spring and compare it with other seasons of the year. Get the ESL printable worksheets to Compare Seasons and have an English conversation about spring, ESL printable and digital flashcards, ESL listening and reading exercises, and gamify lessons with badges and stamps.
Warm Up Questions
- How do you feel about spring? Why?
- Do you prefer cold and snowy winter or the weather in spring?
- In your opinion, what’s the best part about spring?
ESL Video on Conversation About Comparing Seasons
Watch the following YouTube video:
ESL Listening Questions
- How does Cindy describe the weather?
- According to Cindy, what’s the best part about spring?
- Once the weather starts to warm up, what don’t we need anymore?
- What can we enjoy as the chill of winter fades?
- What does Bob like about fall and winter?
- Does Cindy love the cold? What does Cindy love about spring and summer?
- How does Cindy describe the season that spring comes between?
- What do spring temperatures help us enjoy?
- Why does Bob prefer winter over summer?
- Why does Bob like when it doesn’t get too hot?
Matching Vocabulary – Comparing Seasons ESL Lesson
Match the words and expressions on the left with the meanings on the right.
|a. unpleasant and rough; severe|
|b. small in degree|
|c. the model or standard of something perfect|
|d. extremely hot|
|f. to lose strength, brightness or color|
|g. brightness caused by light|
|h. to want or like one thing more than another|
Discussion Questions to Compare Seasons
- Compare all 4 seasons.
- What is spring known for?
- Do you do spring or winter cleaning? (this varies according to country)
- How does the rain make you feel?
- What is ideal weather for you?
- Do you prefer to be indoors or outdoors?
- Have you ever been sunburnt?
ESL Digital and Printable Flashcards to Compare Seasons
Use the following flashcards to make comparisons about the seasons.
A Conversation About Comparing Seasons ESL Lesson Plan
Cindy: It’s a beautiful day, don’t you think? The sun is shining with a slight breeze. I love spring. There are more sunny hours in the day, the flowers are starting to bloom… but the best part is that we can actually feel the warmth on our skin. No more heavy jackets and winter hats. As the chill of winter fades, we can enjoy the fresh air by leaving the windows open. I love it!
Bob: Well, I actually prefer fall and winter. I love all the colors of fall as the leaves change and fall from the trees, and I really don’t mind the cold when winter arrives.
Cindy: I guess everyone has their favorite seasons. I just love to see all the plants flowering, butterflies, and hear the birds singing in spring and summer. It gives me a happy feeling. Spring comes in between two extreme seasons – harsh winter and searing summer. Spring brings us ideal temperatures so that we can enjoy outdoor activities and the best part … we can still enjoy comfy evenings curled in a fluffy blanket.
Bob: Not being too hot makes me happy. It is easier to keep warm in winter, than cool in summer. At least in my part of the world. Where it snows it may be different.
Cindy: Don’t you enjoy the outdoors, going to the beach, having barbecues etc?
Bob: Sometimes of course, but I prefer it when it is not too hot, so I don’t get burned. You can have a barbecue anytime really.
Do you want the PDF with the answer key?