Bad Habits ESL Lesson is a fun English lesson for ESL students to learn English grammar, past simple, comparatives and superlatives, adjectives, English vocabulary, phases and idioms for having a conversation about bad habits. Watch the ESL video about bad habits and start practicing the new vocabulary. Get the downloadable and printable ESL worksheets on Bad Habits, ESL printable and digital flashcards, ESL listening and reading exercises, and gamify lessons with badges and stamps.
Warm Up Questions
- Do you have any bad habits? What are they?
- Do you or have you ever smoked?
- Are you a healthy person?
ESL Video on Conversation about Bad Habits
Watch the following YouTube video:
ESL Listening Questions
- What does Tony tell Joey that he should do?
- When did Tony quit smoking?
- How did Tony quit smoking?
- What did Tony start to do after quitting smoking?
- According to Tony, what isn’t as bad as smoking?
- Did Tony take any medicine to help him stop smoking?
- Does Tony eat junk food now? Did Tony keep eating junk food?
- Did Tony gain weight when he stopped smoking?
- Did Tony smoke a lot every day?
cold turkey | a while | tough | gain weight | cold turkey | right
watch | quit/cut out | bad habit | junk food | medicine | used to
Choose the words from the Word Bank that have the same meaning as the words below.
- did something in the past but not anymore
- put on weight
- stop suddenly without help
- to do something that isn’t good for you
- a period of time
- Food that isn’t good for you
- pay attention to (something)
- A drug that makes you feel better
Choose the correct word from the Bad Habits Word Bank. You may have to change the form of the word.
- He’s a very _____________________________. He smokes two packs per day.
- Do you have any ___________________________ ? I bite my nails all the time.
- I ___________________ a lot of weight over the holidays. I need to go on a diet.
- I eat very healthy food every day. I don’t like ___________________ very much.
- Jeff quit _______________________ . He didn’t take anything to help him stop.
Bad Habit Word B
old habits die-hard | heavy smoker | bite my nails | cold turkey | junk food |
bad habit | medicine | I didn’t take anything | cut out junk food | gain weight
watch what (I) eat | two packs a day
Fill in the blanks with the correct tense.
- I used to drink a lot of beer, but I _____________________ (stop) six months ago.
- I used to eat a lot of junk food, but I _______________ (cut) it out over a year ago.
- I used to have a sweet tooth, but I _________________ (decrease) how much I eat.
- I used to eat really big portions of food, but I __________________ (reduce) my portion size.
- I used to fidget a lot, but now I ______________ (control) it because it annoyed my co-workers.
ESL Printable and Digital Flashcards to Talk about Personality
Use the flashcards to talk about your boss (imagination).
ESL Conversation about Bad Habits
Tony: You should really quit smoking.
Joey: I know. Old habits die-hard.
Tony: I used to smoke but I stopped nearly five years ago.
Joey: Really? How did you stop?
Tony: To tell you the truth it was really tough. I quit cold turkey. After I quit, I started biting my nails and then I started eating a lot of junk food.
Joey: I see. So, you went from one bad habit to another.
Tony: Yes, but smoking is much worse than junk food or biting your nails.
Joey: Yes, you are right. Did you take any medicine to help you stop?
Tony: No, I didn’t take anything and after a while I even cut out the junk food.
Joey: Really? I heard that many people gain weight after they quit smoking.
Tony: Yes, at the beginning I did but then I started watching what I ate.
Joey: Were you a heavy smoker?
Tony: Yes, I used to smoke two packs a day.
Joey: You’re kidding. Well, I think it’s time to quit.
Tony: You can do it. If I can do it, anyone can do it.
Do you want the PDF with the answer key?