What Time Is It? ESL Lesson Plan is a fun English lesson for ESL students to learn English grammar, the present simple prepositions of time, vocabulary, and phrases for having a conversation about time. Watch the ESL video about time and start using the new vocabulary. Get the ESL printable worksheets on Talking about Time, ESL printable and digital flashcards, ESL listening and reading exercises, and gamify lessons with badges and stamps.
Warm Up Questions
- What time do you usually wake up?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- Do you like to sleep in on the weekend?
- Do you always arrive on time?
- Do you sometimes oversleep?
ESL Video on Conversation About Time
Watch the following YouTube video:
ESL Listening Questions
- What does Tony ask Samantha to do?
- What time does Tony need to wake up at?
- Is it 5:00? What time is it now?
- Why does Tony need to wake up early?
- Where is Tony’s meeting?
- What will Tony do to arrive on time?
- How far away is Bob’s office?
- What time does Tony need to wake up?
midnight | wake (me) up | early
meeting | set the alarm | hurry up! | drive | fast
What word(s) from the video have the opposite meaning of the words below?
- sleep in
- slow down
Choose: on, in or at.
- The meeting is _______ five o’clock.
- The game is _______ ten minutes.
- We are meeting _______ Wednesday.
- We will meet _______ the restaurant.
- He will arrive _______ eleven o’clock.
- The class starts _______ an hour.
- Bob will go home _______ Saturday.
- Sally is going to the store _______ a half hour.
ESL Printable and Digital Flashcards to Talk about the Time
Use the flashcards to practice talking about what time it is.
English Conversation about Time
Tony: What time is it now?
Samantha: (Yawn) It’s midnight.
Tony: Okay, please wake me up at six o’clock.
Samantha: Wow, why will you wake up so early?
Tony: I have a meeting tomorrow morning.
Samantha: What time is your meeting?
Tony: My meeting is at nine o’clock.
Samantha: Well, why are you waking up so early?
Tony: The meeting is at Bob’s office. It is an hour and a half from here.
What time is it?
Samantha: It’s seven-ten.
Tony: I’m going to be late for my meeting. Why didn’t you set the alarm?
Samantha: I did, but you didn’t wake up. Hurry up! Now you will have to drive fast.
Do you want the PDF with the answer key?